I said, "It's okay, God's going to take care of us."
He/She said, "But what if He doesn't?"
"Well, I guess we'll get to meet Him soon," I said.
Another child says, "I don't want to die!"
"I'm too young to die!" says another.
And then Emily says "I'm too beautiful to die!!"
When we finally reached the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado, I was so excited, skipping around and trying to get the kids to join me in my joy. They weren't as excited as I was. In fact, several started complaining and we soon realized they had altitude sickness. They didn't want to take pictures, their stomachs hurt and they wanted to get to the bottom of the mountain as soon as possible.
After going to the gift shop then attempting to take some pictures with grumpy people, lots of wailing and flopping on the ground, we got back to the van and I broke down crying. I was broken-hearted. This was the first major sight we got to see on our trip. I had some high expectations. I wanted them to appreciate God's amazing creation. He didn't have to make our world so amazingly beautiful. He did it for us, because he loves us. I gave the "This is a Once In A Lifetime Opportunity" speech. I told them that we may never get to come here again, every day is a gift, every moment is a gift, I just want you all to be thankful for this moment, this gift.
So we got out of the van, found a nice spot with the Rocky Mountains in the distance and took a few more pictures.
![]() |
| Amazing View |
![]() |
| Kurt and I |
![]() |
| Johnny finds a sweet spot |



Let me be the first to 'chip in'. What a real blessing it was for Heidi to share her brokeness like this on our trip. I truly believe she lead a revolution in our heart and minds to be grateful and more thankful than we currently consider. When we spoke in the front seats of the van preparing our drive down the mountain there was a unity in us both agreeing that this is what God wanted us to know on this trip - and then forevever. See Colossians 3 for more details. Her hubby, Kurt
ReplyDelete